Sunday, August 17, 2014

Why Jumanji Is My Favorite Robin Williams Movie

Hey People,

So I wanted to share my favorite movie of Robin Williams with you. You see Jumanji to me was probably the scariest movie I ever saw back then. Actually, there was a point where I couldn't watch it alone. So why is it my favorite? Let me explain.

Summary: A boy plays a game, a game like no other, where the rules are wherever you land in the game determines what happens to you. But everything can be restored back to normal as long as you finish the game. Well more precisely, if you finish the game.

This movie is definitely not Robin Williams best role, not his best movie, and not his most known movie either. So why is it my favorite? Well because of the memories I have while watching it.

I was scared of everything in this movie from the beats of the drums when he first finds the game, to the bats scene and being sucked in by the game, to the lion in the bedroom, to the hunter, to the stampede of animals on the street, to the quicksand, and back to the sucking of everything back into the game. I wasn't kidding when I said that everything scared me in this movie. I was six at the time. Stop judging me.

Again you're probably asking well if you were so scared of it, then why is it your favorite? It's because of what was happening when I was scared and couldn't look at the screen. I was always sitting on my dad's lap and hiding my face or crying my eyes out and hiding my face, one or the other. He was always there when I was scared. He told me later how he regretted buying that VHS for my brother and me because of me. He also said at one point he had to hide it from me. But I loved watching it, not because I was a masochist at the age of 6, but because I knew what it really was--good fun entertaining movie from beginning to end.

Years later when I was in 6th grade, I brought it to class so we could have a movie to watch. I remember having a debate with my friend, who is still my friend until this very day, about how Kirsten Dunst was the girl with the attitude. As we finished the movie and credits were starting to roll, my teacher thought it was a good time to stop the movie so she never got to see her name show up. She didn't want to believe me then and until this day she will deny that Dunst is in the movie. That girl has a lot of pride, but hey, I still love her.

Of course, this was also the first time I saw Kirsten Dunst, Bonnie Hunt, and David Alan Grier, but Robin Williams I already knew from Dead Poets Society, Good Morning, Vietnam, Hook, Aladdin, and of course Mrs. Doubtfire. Some of these movies I didn't understand until I was older, but I watched because Robin Williams was in it and because my Dad knew what was good for me. But I will always remember Jumanji for the memories that it gave me. So thank you Robin Williams.

Sincerely from a true fan,
             Diva

P.S. Hope God told you that joke you've been waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment