Thursday, January 15, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Why I Hate Firefly

Hey People,

My friends always told me to keep my mouth shut on this subject, but I can't help it. I need to express how I feel. Now I know some people are already considering ways to kill me, but first hear me out.

I didn't even know Firefly existed until I read comment sections of shows being cancelled and somehow Firefly's name would always appear. At the time, I asked my college roommate about it and she said it was a must see and I just had to watch. She even asked me how I haven't watched it already. I heard so much about this show that I just had to know if I was missing out on the best show ever made. After watching 14 episodes, I can honestly say that I wasn't missing a thing.

I have nothing against the Joss Whedon or the actors, except maybe Summer Glau, her show record isn't all that great. I watched Castle, Suburgatory, Chuck, 2525 (way back in the day), Angel, and Buffy. So I was super excited to watch this. There seriously was nothing for me to watch. I was waiting for the amazing and it never happened. By the time I got to the end, I seriously sat there and thought "Why do people complain so much about it being cancelled?"

People argued it was because the episodes were out of order or it didn't get a chance to develop enough and I have something to say to you guys. The episodes being out of order to tell you the truth, I didn't notice. If I didn't notice, then I doubt it ruined my perception of the show. As for not developing enough, I usually judge a show by its pilot. The pilot of Firefly wasn't bad and I would have probably given it another round; however, I did become bored during the run, which leads me to believe I would've dropped it from my list. The only interesting part of the series to me was River's mystery. I honestly couldn't get the amazement of this show. I totally think Firefly is over-hyped and overrated.

Before you try to find out where I live, let me finish my story. I decided to watch the movie since I finished the show and let me tell you, I thought it was amazing. I said to myself, "Why couldn't the show be like this, then I would've understood why people are complaining a decade later." I know a lot of people don't like it because characters died, but to me Serenity actually had a point to it and I loved how it explained so much. In the end, I am a Serenity fan, not a Firefly fan.

One time I was in this elevator and overheard a girl talking to her friend about Firefly and telling her she should watch it because it's the best thing ever. I said aloud, "I hate Firefly." The girl gasped. Then I said, "But I like Serenity" and the girl responded with an "Oh, okay." I swear if you talk sh*t about Firefly to fans, they automatically think you are either a troll or you're insane or maybe both.

But what I hate most about Firefly are the fans. Okay, I get it you're upset that it got cancelled, but get over it already. Not many fans can say they got a movie for their beloved cancelled show. I would rather a cancelled show to have 14 episodes and a movie than 7 seasons and end on a cliffhanger. What I'm trying to say is, at least the fans got closure and not many fans of other shows can say that.

Luv ya,
            Diva

P.S. You can totally tell that this show wasn't planning on being cancelled anytime soon, which is why I think shows, in general, should never bank on renewal.

2 comments: