Sunday, June 7, 2015

Power Review

Hey People,

I put my games aside and started down my endless TV show binge again. Power was returned yesterday and since I have a lot of love for Starz and I no longer have Outlander on Saturdays since it's on hiatus (I heard until 2016, please no!) I thought why not give it a try. If I don't like it, I move onto the next like I usually do. I have to be honest with you and say I came in skeptical because 50 Cent is an executive producer, but I always give things a try just so I'm not that person on the internet who bashes things without giving it a go at least once. I played the 1st episode yesterday and the next thing you know it was night and I was playing the 8th. I seriously wished there were more episodes. What is with Starz only producing 8 at a time? I had it bad. Luckily for me, I don't have to wait since the 2nd season just started, but let me explain why this show is awesome and you shouldn't judge it before you watch it.

Summary: It's the opposite of Breaking Bad. While Walter White was trying to get into the business, James St. Patrick is trying to get out of it and go legit with a club he started, but his wife and best friend are making that very difficult to achieve. Meanwhile, he runs into his high school sweetheart, who's a lawyer, and starts thinking maybe he really can start a new life with her by his side. Too bad the lawyer works with the FEDs on taking down drug dealers and neither of them know just how close their work are to each other.

I was hooked by the 1st episode. Basically, James/Jamie/Ghost (drug dealer name) wants to use the nightclub he started as a way to clean the money as his only business (for people who don't know what that means, it means to make the money legit. You can't use drug money to buy shit or the FEDs will be on your ass so instead you make it go through other businesses usually low business like laundromats where you can easily inflate the money and no one will question it). His wife, Tasha, always knew he would be the kingpin one day and she wants everything to stay the way it is. His best friend, Tommy, takes care of the illegal business, but unlike James, he doesn't really think and he doesn't want to know anything else other than the streets.

Angela is different. She grew up in the same neighborhood as Tommy and James, but she moved to start a better life. Neither James or Angela ever got over each other and when Angela came to dance at his club, they meet and sparks were flying. Angela knew he would always make it out of the streets, but little does she know that James now runs those same streets. James knows the top spot isn't forever, like he said, he doesn't know anyone in his position because they're either locked up or dead. His wife believes they weren't as smart as he was, but he knows the truth--there's an expiration date being #1. James wants to be the man Angela thinks he is, but love isn't the only problem he has, but I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't started it yet. Yet, there's always problems in the drug word because someone is always after your position. James just doesn't know who.

Cast: Omari Hardwick (Being Mary Jane), Lela Loran (don't know the chick, but she should be known, someone make her wiki page pronto!), Naturi Naughton (The Playboy Club; I used to sing her songs in 3LW all the time back in the day, one of my 1st CDs I ever bought), Joseph Sikora (1st starring role), Sinqua Walls (Once Upon A Time), and of course Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson (does he really need one of these? G-Unit!)

Judgement: This show is very much a love story, which I was shocked about and I was also shocked how much 50 Cent wasn't in the show; however, the way it ended you can tell he will definitely play a larger role this season. This is definitely worth a look at. It's only 8 episodes (9 if you include season 2 premiere). If you want to try something, try this!

Luv ya,
            Diva

P.S. I really don't know why people compared this show to Empire. It's nothing like Empire. The only thing they have in common is drugs. TBH, I actually prefer Power over Empire. Now that's saying something.
P.P.S. Great music!

No comments:

Post a Comment