Saturday, November 22, 2014

State of Affairs Pilot Review

Hey People,

So I watched State of Affairs last night and I went in thinking not very good thoughts since I didn't hear anything good about this show. My father's coworker even said she fell asleep during the premiere and I read comments that said the same thing or that it was a total rip off of Scandal and Homeland. To tell you the truth, it reminded me of Madam Secretary. The point is I went in thinking this show was going to be crossed off my list immediately, but instead I enjoyed it. Let me explain.

Summary: There is an actual job where someone has to make a list of most wanted. Charleston, which is a pretty cool name, is a CIA analyst that's responsible for the daily briefing for POTUS. Charlie also would have been the President's daughter-in-law if it weren't for the fact that her fiance/President's son died.

Okay in the first 10 minutes of the episode I would have said boring. I seriously thought it was going to be about the briefers getting together and talking about what was relevant or not, which the show kind of is, but I guess what separated this show from Madam Secretary is the fact that she did things outside of her office. Now, I don't know how realistic that is. I mean, one minute she became the most wanted person at the CIA and the next she just walks to POTUS's office like you would if you wanted a cup of coffee at Starbucks. But there was action and I liked that. I also like the story-arc of this mysterious texter, who knows her secrets and every move she makes, which I hope they explore soon instead of every episode being about the case-of-the-week.

Speaking of the case-of-the-week, this week was about Charlie deciding if she should go after the man behind the killing of her fiance or saving a man who looked like her fiance. To me, it wasn't her call to make. That's the President's job. Her job is to tell the President what's going on which she failed to do. Just because it's not over 80% sure doesn't mean you don't report it. Charlie is also having problems remembering exactly how her fiance died. Was he really killed by terriosts? Was he traitor? It doesn't matter because as of right now she's sexing the pain away.

A lot of people said this show is unrealistic, but there is a job at the White House that has someone giving the President's daily debriefing. They even have 2 ex-CIA and a briefer who debriefed two Presidents. So this real.

Cast: I'll be honest, I don't like Katherine Heigl (Grey's Anatomy) as a person, but girl is talented and I'm not going to stop watching a show just because of a person I don't like. Now some people think she was miscast and maybe she was. What I mean by that is it's not like How to Get Away with Murder where I can only see Viola Davis playing that character. Katherine Heigl is not that important to play this role. I could have just as easily watched it if it was played by someone else. I could say the same thing for Alfre Woodard (Desperate Housewives), who was just underused in the pilot, which is probably why I'm saying that since she's a great actress. These 2 women are the only people I know from before other than James Remar (Dexter), but he isn't a regular.

Judgement: I will keep it for now and test the waters. It doesn't get a pass, but it doesn't get crossed from the list either.

Diary: Nope.

Luv ya,
           Diva

P.S. Almost forgot, the terrorist behind her fiance's death was her asset. Explain that one to the President and see if you keep your day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment